Flowers are blooming, the days are getting longer and a warm breeze has replaced the winter chill. And for many of us, that means one thing—spring cleaning is around the corner! But before you bring out the heavy-duty dirt removers and weed killers, make sure you’re not putting your family pet in danger.
Thousands of pet parents called the ASPCA’s 24-hour poison control hotline last year. Read on to find out what products could harm your furry friends, and some tips for keeping Fido and Fluffy safe during your spring cleaning!
Keep Pets Away While Cleaning
While you’re cleaning, keep your pets safely in another area of the house until the room is well ventilated and all cleaning products have dried. Also be sure to place used rags and other cleaning tools out of reach.
Household cleaning products are generally safe in small doses, but strong acidic or alkaline cleaners can cause corrosive injury or chemical burns. These include rust removers, toilet bowel cleaners, lye, drain cleaners and calcium/lime removers.
Try using more natural, “green” cleaning products to further reduce risk of your pet ingesting a poisonous product.
Insecticides are used in the yard, home and on our animals, and nearly 16% of all calls to the ASPCA’s poison hotline in 2013 were related to insecticides. Remember to always read the label before using any insecticide on your pet, in your home or in your yard!
Care For Your Garden—Carefully
Fertilizers, which can be made of poultry manure and bone meal, are very attractive to pets, but not good for them to eat! The ASPCA received more than 5,000 calls in 2013 about pet illness and injury relating to lawn and garden items. Always store poisonous products in out-of-the-way places and follow label instructions carefully.
If you suspect your pet may have come in contact with or ingested a potentially poisonous substance, contact your local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.