This week is National Poison Prevention Week, the time of year to throw out those questionable chemicals from the garage and the hazardous cleaning materials lurking beneath your sink. But while you're cleaning out the obvious items, don't forget the common household foods, plants and products that can harm your pet!
Here are some pet poison problems that could be lurking in your home. You can also consult your veterinarian for more advice about your particular pets:
- Pills and medications. That Advil may easy your headache, but ingesting "people pills" can be harmful to your pet's health. Prescription medications and over-the-counter painkillers, cold medications and dietary supplements should be kept safely in your medicine cabinet or on a high shelf, out of your pet's reach.
- Unsafe snacks. Human food should be just that—for humans. Chocolate, grapes, raisins, avocado, and gum or candy containing xylitol can all be dangerous to pets. Other problematic foods include coffee, macadamia nuts, onions, salt and garlic.
- Poisonous plants. Common household greenery—including lilies, azaleas and
rhododendrons—can be toxic for your pet if ingested. Lilies are very poisonous to cats and can result in
kidney failure even from a small nibble. Check the ASPCA’s list of toxic and non-toxic plants.
If you suspect that your pet has been exposed to poison, take action immediately. Contact your personal veterinarian, Pet Poison Helpline or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.
Visit PAWS.org for more cat and dog resources