All across the country, animal shelters and rescue organizations are feeling a little extra love thanks to HSUS's National Animal Shelter and Rescue Appreciation Week. While we don't get to take a day off work like we do with other holidays, this is a great opportunity to help homeless cats and dogs by celebrating the organizations that care for them!
This week, November 4–10, take a few moments to support your local animal shelter or rescue organization. It's quick, simple, and easy to do! You can join the HSUS Facebook Event, or follow a few of the tips provided below:
- Say "thanks!" Take a moment to thank your local shelter for the work they do. If you've adopted a pet from them, send an updated picture through the mail, by email, or by posting on Facebook to let them know how well your pet is doing!
- Donate old linens. Towels, sheets, and blankets can be used as comfy bedding for cats and dogs.
- Make wishes come true. Shelters like PAWS often have wishlists of items they need for the animals, such as chew toys, jars of peanut butter, and other supplies. Donate an item from their list!
- Donate your time. If you can't adopt a pet right now, become a volunteer! Whether it's walking dogs, playing with kitties, or caring for wildlife, an extra pair of hands is always needed.
- Keep your pet safe. The best thing you can do for your local shelter is to keep your own pet safe and happy at home. Spay and neuter your pets, get them microchipped, keep your cat indoors where they will be safe, and give your dog plenty of responsible exercise (on-leash, or at a designated off-leash dog park).